This year I was planning to send Christmas cards with a small gift to friends and family, but something I watched got me thinking…
After watching that, I knew I had to take action and do something different for others this year — After all, God didn’t give us Jesus so we could go Christmas shopping…It’s about caring and loving others more than yourself. On that note, here’s one cause that caught my attention immediately:
Charity: water is a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. I only found out about this after my friend started a donation drive: http://mycharitywater.org/christmasgift2010 (Please donate a few bucks if you can!)
To further promote awareness (virally!!) and also to help my friend’s cause, I’ve decided to leverage Facebook’s social networking features and create my “You Like. iGive” experiement. Here’s how it works:
- Go to the “You Like. iGive” page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/You-Like-iGive/168383623197133).
- Click “Like” at the top.
- I donate $5 to Charity:water on your behalf (first 100 by 12/25)…seriously, no gimmicks!
My hope is for:
- Awareness: TONS of people will come to know about this great cause at Charity:water! Hope many will donate too!
- Change: Our view of water will never be the same, as we are reminded how different the lesser fortunate see it. This also changes how we view money — where just $1 can bring clean water to 1 person for 1 whole year! Huge impact!
- Heart: The act of giving and sacrifice — this is very much in line with the Christmas message. We are reminded at the end of each year what God has given to us — most of which we can give away!