Lately I’ve been obsessed with Speculoos, a type of shortcrust biscuit similar to graham crackers, traditionally baked for consumption around St Nicholas’ feast (around December) in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Northern France. The spices used include pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. They are also known as the Airline Cookie, as made famous on Delta Airlines.
Only recently has it been formulated into a paste, similar to peanut butter. Having only been recently recommended by my favorite Paris blogger David Lebovitz (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/), I knew I had to get it when I visited Paris last November.
Returning back to the States, I quickly tried some on bread….ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! It’s really like eating a lightly sweet graham cracker! Now I know it’s not as healthy as peanut butter, so please treat it as an indulgent spread like nutella, ok? Anyway, I quickly realized I needed to find a local source for more Speculoos. Good news…they’re here in the States:
- Original Lotus Speculoos (Paris, France)
- In my opinion the smoothest and best flavor of all speculoos! Get this if you can.
- Cookie Butter (Trader Joes, USA)
- Can you believe TJ has this? Slightly sweeter than the original Lotus version. Still very good, and highly recommended. Sadly, this might be seasonal…I couldn’t find it last time I visited! =(
- Biscoff Spread (World Market, USA)
- Somehow the jar I tried tasted off, more gingery/bitter. I’m not sure if it was just a bad batch, but I will need to try again.
- Rumor has it Cost Plus and some Lucky’s carry this too!
- Pier 39: Biscoff Coffee Corner (http://www.yelp.com/biz/biscoff-coffee-corner-san-francisco-2) where you will get a complimentary Biscoff cookie with every coffee beverage purchased at our café. This is the official Biscoff store…supposedly sells all the various Biscoff products, including the spread. I have to visit here soon!
- Union Square (Powell Bart station): Bloem n’ Sugar (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bloem-n-sugar-san-francisco) has Speculoos waffles!!
Hungry Cactus’ verdict: A!!
What are you waiting for? Try some Speculooooooooooooos for yourself now!!